Tuesday, 1 January 2013

To Infinity & Beyond !




As reunions go this was one that was 26 years in the making.  By the way you may want to go and pour yourself a cuppa J
To cut a very long story short it took nearly 9 hours (yes 9 hours) to get from Lincolnshire to Victoria and then from Victoria to Brighton by coach.  To get there and back it took 4 coaches, 3 of which were appalling and 1 was luxury.  The 1st one made me feel sick, the air coolers did not work, the heat was unbearable.



When I managed to squeeze into the loo, which was the size of a drawer, the lights went out (literally).  There I was staggering around, holding on for dear life, in total darkness with my knickers around my ankles.

The coach made a unscheduled stop at Peterborough, a coach load of hot sweaty sickly feeling passengers could get off and breathe!  After about 15 minutes we all boarded again for the next part of our journey and I had stopped feeling sick (nothing worse is there?).  After what seemed like an eternity we all got off at Victoria coach station and myself and hubby literally ran like the clappers for the connecting coach, we had about 3 minutes to spare.

This coach was no better, the air was filled with a stale urine aroma and to top that the loo was out of order.  That meant I could not drink anything.

After convincing myself that I should have stayed at home I amused myself with people watching while my hubby was fast asleep. All human life was here, students, old ladies, old men, fat ones, thin ones, grumpy ones, smelly ones, kids with smart phones, Ipods, Ipads, tablets, texting at a hundred miles an hour or listening to something called music. Even 2 young men at the back of the coach practising Friday prayers. By this time 3 hours had passed and we were all getting excited at the prospect of getting off the coach.  We had arrived!!

The Reunion %
It consisted of my hubby’s sister, brother in law, and their children, all the in-laws, nieces, nephews, their husbands and wives and children, great nieces and great nephews.  The list was loooooooooooooong. After meeting me for the first time my great newphew said "Are you from the North Pole?".  It could have been worse.

We spent 3 nights in Brighton before heading off to Hayling Island for a 4 day break.  Went shopping in Brighton and managed to visit Choccywoccydoodah (I was in chocolate heaven).



Too gorgeous to cut don’t you think?

***********************
After 11 days of far too much alcohol and food it was time to bid farewell to Hayling Island and Brighton. The coach from Brighton to Victoria was pure luxury, the connecting one was not.  Again I had issues with the loo (why me??), this time the door jammed and no one could get in, so the driver had to stop and use his “magic” key to the relief of the passengers.

We arrived home in good time, the market place was all lit up with Christmas lights and it looked beautiful.



% Enjoy the rest of today %
~










6 comments:

  1. What a journey. But WOW what a reunion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip there seemed like a disaster, so sorry. It's always nice to reconnect with family for the holidays. I hope the new year is a prosperous one for you.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the family part made up for the awful parts. I like the holidays but am always happy when it's all over. Back to work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the journey sounds pretty horrendous-you're brave even attempting to use the loo on a coach-i'd be too claustrophobic! love the photos you used to illustrate your post! sounds like some reunion and am sure it was worth the journey! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness you are filled with Christmas Joy! and all that didnt even take it away...I am proud of you ....hang on to those patience...they get less and less in time lolol you have brightened my day indeed....I thought of you and other blog♥s when I watched the New Year ring in in the UK....Huge Hugs ♥Debi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow and I thought I was the one who always got the problems. What a fiasco. You need another holiday to recoup your energy now. Chocolate and Coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Spam is deleted at source and no links are ever seen or opened