Saturday, 13 April 2013

Wedding dress snip snip???

While some of you may be filled with horror at the thought of cutting into your wedding dress, I have come up with an alternative.  My dress, as you can see, is all lace & satin..  That was way back in 1986 and most of them were like that.  




In a moment of madness I considered squeezing myself into it, but with the dress waist measurement of barely 26 inches I decided against it.  I didn’t want to trap myself between multiple layers of fluffy frou frou..  It is also quite heavy and too bulky to be kept in a drawer or wardrobe.  Which is why it’s been tied up in a bin bag for 27 years (sacre bleu!!).

I am going to attempt a “memory quilt” using squares of the dress with other suitable material, I can then lay it on the bed instead of hiding it in the shed.  Would you take a chance??
xx }}

10 comments:

  1. With my skills at sewing I wouldn't ever take the chance lol ;o)
    But if I had your skills then yes, I think it's a lovely idea and much better than keeping it in a binbag in the shed ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very brave. I haven't looked at mine for years... it's in the loft, but I don't think I could cut it up, but that's just me! Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - go for it. My wedding drress (32 years old - say it quick) is in the attic in it's original box & has probably been feeding generations of moths.....
    Jo. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for it...
    My wedding dress has been in the attic for 32 years (say it quickly) & is still in its original box. It's probably been feeding generations of moths... lol.
    Jo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it sweetie, you can make something wonderful that you can see everyday!

    Bee happy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go for it sweetie, it will be wonderful that you can see your memories everyday :)

    Bee happy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being one of those girls who could never wear a whitedress all 3 times...(according to the old wives) I think that is a wonderful idea and I know you definitely can design and create a spectacular quilt that will adorn your bed for another trillion years............bravo and very thrifty! you may have lached on to something♥Debi

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea. My wedding dress and veil was used as dressing up clothes for my two girls when they were younger. As you can gather I am not overly sentimental about things and they had a few good years playing. The veil ended up being made into a tutu for David to wear to a fancy dress party many moons ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been accused of being unsentimental....I got rid of mine right after I wore it....

    So, I say, go for it! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that's a wonderful idea. I've often wondered about recycling mine but was a little unsure if I should or not but turning it into something like you're doing means it's still with you but serving a useful function at the same time. You've got me a thinking now :) x

    ReplyDelete

Spam is deleted at source and no links are ever seen or opened